Adventist Health’s Healing Heritage: An Integration of Faith and Healing
Our commitment to quality healthcare is rooted in our heritage, which dates back to 1866 when the first Seventh-day Adventist healthcare facility opened in Battle Creek, Michigan. These were dedicated pioneers promoted the at-the-time radical concepts of proper nutrition, exercise, and sanitation.
More than a century later, this healthcare system is sponsored by the Seventh-day Adventist church spans the globe with more than 160 hospitals and nearly 500 clinics, nursing homes and dispensaries worldwide. All along, holding to the same vision of treating the whole person-mind, body, and spirit.
Originally, Adventist medical centers were governed by regional church leadership. As healthcare grows more complex, it became apparent specialized expertise was needed. In 1972, the church authorized centralized control and operations of its healthcare instituitions at the multistate level. A year later, regional divisions were formed based on the church’s infrastructure, known as the North Pacific Union as Northwest Medical Foundation and in the Pacific Union as Adventist Health Services. In 1980, the two entities joined to form Adventist Health System/West, now known simply as Adventist Health.
We owe much of our heritage and organizational success to the Seventh-day Adventist Church, which has long been a promoter of prevention and whole-person care. Inspired by our belief in the loving and healing power of Jesus Christ, we aim to bring physical, mental and spiritual health and healing to our neighbors of all faiths.
Every individual, regardless of personal beliefs, is welcome in our facilities. We are also eager to partner with members of other faiths to enhance the health of the communities we serve.
While Adventist Health’s holdings are based solely on the West Coast and in Hawaii, Seventh-day Adventist healthcare spans the entire United States and dates back to 1866.