Adventist Health’s Heritage of Healing
Adventist Health System has been committed to quality health care since our beginning. In 1866, the first Seventh-day Adventist health care facility opened in Battle Creek, Michigan. There, dedicated pioneers promoted the “radical” concepts of proper nutrition, exercise and sanitation. Early on, the facility was devoted to prevention as well as healing.
More than a century later, Adventist Health System circles the globe with more than 160 hospitals and nearly 500 clinics, nursing homes, and dispensaries worldwide. All while the original vision of treating the whole person- mind, body, and spirit- continues to provide the foundation for our progressive approach to health care.
As health care grew more complex, specialized expertise was needed to lead. In 1972, the regional church leadership, that had governed Adventist Health since inception, authorized centralized control and operations of its health care institutions at the multi-state level.
In 1973, regional divisions were formed based on the church’s infrastructure, we were known in the North Pacific Union as Northwest Medical Foundation and in the Pacific Union as Adventist Health Services. In 1980, the two entities joined as Adventist Health System/West. We are now known simply as Adventist Health. Read more about our history here.